17 August 2010

Memos That Make Me Laugh

 
Last night I had CQ duty (Charge of Quarters).  When I showed up for my shift I started paging through the SOP binder on the desk and found this memo.  What has the world come to that we need a freaking memo for making coffee?  I like this the best:
 
"Follow these instruction to maintain coffee availability".  Oooohhh, I knew how to make coffee, I just had no idea why I needed to!  So many questions were answered by this memo.  The context of this memo is missing from the pictures.  This memo was placed in the binder before most other memos; before the SOP for what to do if the building catches on fire, or if an OC becomes seriously ill, or if we receive a bomb threat.  I do appreciate the priorities of this organization.  

I actually blogged last week about my security clearance.  But it's still in the Edit portion of the blog because I could hear my lawyer call me up and tell me to take it down.  He's so unfunny about that sort of thing.

1 comment:

  1. Jack would find absolutely nothing goofy about SOP. It’s all that stands between and chaos and anarchy. As Jack’s kid, I too, appreciate rules, agendas and plans. But maybe that’s just me.
    I’m not real clear on one thing however, is coffee a privilege or a right and what exactly do I have to do to retain said privilege/right? I do however, appreciate one thing you may have missed. Coffee rules are egalitarian. I like that. I once had a secretarial job in which the girls had to make coffee and the boys got to drink it. Rank confers no privilege on coffee privileges/rights. That’s a good thing.

    Sorry about the clearance and legal next steps. I think you may not yet be too old to be flexible. I hope so. Ten years from now, you may look back on Coffee SOP, priorities re Emergency SOP, and intel clearance and realize you learned that sometime rules are just rules. The military operates by having a constant turnover in every single job. They have learned that order and performance are maintained, and OJT is facilitated by making rules that sometimes are admittedly goofy.

    ReplyDelete