01 October 2010

Sleep, I Miss You

We're into our second month of mass punishment, and people are cracking.  I'm only writing now because I went to sick call and lost it and the PA gave me 48 hours of quarters.  Sleep, hooah.  I've noticed that people sit in the day room and knock their heads against the wall.  Not hard, but enough to catch my attention; this is not something I've seen here before all of this. 

C got her orders today.  She's clearing tonight, and she's out of here.  I'm happy she's escaping, but I'm going to miss her.  She's my lifeline here.  The other C is returning in one week, so I think I'll make it, it just sucks.  The other, other C got his orders today too.  He's been here 7.5 months, and I'm so happy for him, but I really will miss him too. 

I have a new room mate, and she really likes talking.  She butt into a conversation last night I was having with C.  She wanted to know C's story, and C just turned to her and asked: "Do we really have to have this conversation?"  There's a weird ritual when a new class comes in.  The new people have all the reasonable and basic questions, and they are all motivated about this shit, something that has long since evaporated from us.  What's your degree in?  What's the tape on your uniform for?  Are you classing up?  How long have you been here?  I'm sorry, how long?  Really?  Well I'm classing up with Alpha.  I'm going to branch MI.  I'm scared about the water combat survival test, what's it like? 

Oh, shut up!

My roomie doesn't understand that when I have ear buds in and I'm working on this computer, that's a cue that I don't want to hear about her tragic narrative.  She got kicked out of Alpha.  Hey, come to think of it, so did I, nearly 4 months ago, so shut up, because you've been here 72 hours.  Today she told me that it was difficult to watch Alpha finish their first week.  Hey, girl friend, try watching them graduate and then have the idiot new-LTs tell you what to do.  Then, watch them class up again!  How long have I been here?  Day 30-something of the lock down.

No comments:

Post a Comment